(Re)Installing OPI

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tor Krill Tor Krill 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Tor Krill
    Tor Krill
    Keymaster

This is a short howto on installing or reinstalling OPI. This procedure will completely reformat the internal storage and returning OPI to the state when delivered.

To perform the installation you will need a µSD-card with a minimum size of 512MB. This card will be completely reformatted deleting all data present.

Note that Internet access is required during setup. This is due to OPI needing to communicate with our servers getting certificates signed etc.

Download the installer
    Start by downloading the latest installer. Downloads are provided from here http://download.openproducts.com/opi/install/

Currently this is the opi-install-1.3.zip The same directory also contains the sha1- and md5-checksum file which can be used to verify, the unzipped image, that the download is successful and complete.

When the installer is downloaded it has to be unzipped and written to the µSD card. This could be done either from the commandline in Linux or using Win32 Disk Imager

Write image Using Win32 Disk imager

Download the application from Sourceforge and unpack it.

Insert the µSD card into your computer.

Start the Imager application. Select the downloaded installer image and the device containing the µSD. Then press write.

When completed remove the µSD from your computer

Write image using dd in Linux
    Insert the µSD card into your computer. Lets assume that the device for the card reader is /dev/sdg substitute with appropriate device for your machuine.

Open a shell.

Make sure the device isn’t mounted
    sudo umount /dev/sdg?

Write the image to µSD by
    sudo dd if=/path/to/opi-install-1.0.img of=/dev/sdg bs=512

Make sure all data is written to the µSD
    sync

Close the shell and remove the µSD card from your computer.

Performing the install
    Remove all power from OPI then insert the installer µSD into OPI.

Turn on power on OPI. OPI should shortly start up and the left and middle LED should blink synchronized.

When OPI is fully installed it will shut down completely with no LEDs lit.

Remove the installer µSD from OPI and replace this with a non installer card preferably a newly formatted card.

Power on OPI and complete the initial setup. (Note that if you use an old OPI µSD card you have to provide the same master password and OPI-id.)

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Tor Krill Tor Krill. Reason: Update formatting and fixing typos
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Tor Krill Tor Krill. Reason: Added note on required Internet access
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Tor Krill Tor Krill. Reason: Updated with info on latest software image
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Tor Krill Tor Krill. Reason: Fixed typo
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Tor Krill Tor Krill. Reason: New release 1.2 updated links
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by pa pa. Reason: Updated links for 1.3 release
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by pa pa.

scotta
    Participant

What are the /default/preferred/supported file systems and partition tables for the “non-installer” microSD card?

Tor Krill
    Tor Krill
    Keymaster

Hi scottta,

The non-installer µSD will be partitioned and formatted by OPI upon setup. Thats part of the encryption.

The preconditions is only that it isn’t an LUKS encrypted device already on it. (If it isn’t an OPI-card in which case you should provide the “old” master password to use it.)

/Tor

shimrod
    Participant

Hi

My OPI has been laying around for a while since it stopped working
    a couple of months ago. I installed the “rescue” image and was able to
    talk to it.

Just a moment ago I did a reinstall with 1.2 and inserted a fresh
    formatted SD card.
    Now I says “Failed to authenticate with OP server.
    Wrong activation code or password”
    I was able to access from my lan and through the link with the activation code.
    After restarting it seems to be bricked with 2 solid leds and the leftmost blinking.
    Should I try to reinstall again?

Best regards
    Rolf

shimrod
      Participant

By the way this is how it looks when I nmap it.
      I remember that this looks the same as when it was hanging before.

Br
      Rolf

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-02-18 00:09 CET
      Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.24
      Host is up (0.00071s latency).
      Not shown: 992 filtered ports
      PORT STATE SERVICE
      22/tcp closed ssh
      25/tcp closed smtp
      80/tcp closed http
      143/tcp closed imap
      443/tcp closed https
      587/tcp closed submission
      993/tcp closed imaps
      2525/tcp closed ms-v-worlds

Tor Krill
        Tor Krill
        Keymaster

Hi Rolf,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with OPI.

Regarding the first problem. Make sure you used the exact same password as you did with the previous system. If it differs you wont be able to authenticate with our servers.

Then the other problem is most likely due to the aborted setup. Could you try reformat the SD-card and try again?

Best Regards

/Tor

shimrod
    Participant

Hi Tor

I reinstalled it and the leds turn off. I inserted a new formatted SD card
    and it seems to hang again. I.e no contact.
    When I took out the SD card and mounted it on another computer it looks blank.
    Im quite lost here.

Br
    Rolf

shimrod
    Participant

Hi Again Tor

Sorry about the last mail.
    It works now. Im not sure why though.
    I reinserted the blank sd card and restarted.
    Now I was able to configure it again. 🙂

A question regarding the master password. I thought it was only local
    to my card? Do you keep a signature of it at opi?
    Can it ever be changed then? I have a rather weak now and wanted to update it, that’s why I reformatted my SD card.
    You imply in the reinstall instructions that the password can be changed by using a new card?

Best regards
    Rolf

Tor Krill
      Tor Krill
      Keymaster

Hi again Rolf,

Unfortunately you currently have to use the same master password for a registered unit. (We use a key derived from the master password to authenticate against our backend systems.)

This is of course not acceptable and is on our todo-list to change. In the meantime you have to contact us and we can reset the account and let you choose a new password.

Best Regards,

/Tor

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Posted in